Skip to main content

Tampa Divorce Attorney and Divorce Modifications

Tampa Divorce Attorney Nilo Sanchez & Associates on Modifications of Final Judgments

If the Florida courts have heard and rendered a final judgment on your divorce or dissolution of marriage, there are areas of your final judgment that can be modified with the courts. If you are wondering if any part of your divorce judgment is modifiable, please visit our websites:

For more information call the Tampa family law office of attorney Nilo Sanchez & Associates for a consultation. Phone: 813-879-4600
  • Alimony Modifications  - In Tampa Bay and in Florida, the Statutes with regards to alimony modifications requires that there be a significant change in circumstances. In order to modify alimony in Florida alimony is determined by the need of the person who is receiving the alimony coupled with the ability of the other party to pay alimony.  If you want to have your alimony increased, you or your attorney must be able to prove to the courts that there is a true need for the increase and must be coupled with proving the other party has the ability to pay the increased amount proposed. If you want to petition the courts for a decrease in alimony in Florida, you must be able to prove that there has been a substantial, involuntary and permanent decrease in income and ability to pay or you must prove that the other party no longer has the need for the amount awarded in the final judgment. It is possible to ask the courts to discontinue alimony but there are strict guidelines and other things that may be a factor in alimony modification cases.  It's wise to consult with a skilled Tampa divorce attorney to determine whether you have a case for modification or not.
  • Child Support Modifications - In Florida, child support is determined by the child support guidelines. Often times, if one parent has an income increase or decrease, or if timesharing has changed, the recipient of child support may either ask the courts for an increase, or the payer asks for a decrease in child support. If the decrease is due to an involuntary and permanent change, the courts can recalculate and reconsider the modification of child support. An increase in child support may come about as the result of the increase in income of the paying parent or a decrease in income of the recipient parent. An increase of income for the recipient can also be cause for child support decrease. Other situations that can be cause for a modification in child support is when the laws change regarding timeshare or when the support guidelines change. If you need a consultation with a Tampa child support lawyer, contact our family law office.
  • Timesharing and Child Custody Modifications - The terms " custody"," primary residential parent", and "rotating custody" have been deleted from the Florida Statutes since October 1, 2008. Since then, each divorce case where children are present, must include a detailed parenting plan which is a part of your final dissolution of marriage. Timesharing modifications require that the parties either work their timesharing matters out in mediation, or return to court to have timesharing and primary residence matters modified.
Generally speaking, to modify any court orders with regards to a final dissolution of marriage in Florida, a substantial change must be present and proven, with the exception of equitable dissolution which is not modifiable in Florida.

To speak with a Tampa family law attorney about divorce modifications, Sanchez & Associates has the experience you need in divorces, high asset divorces and modification of final judgments in Tampa, Florida. Contact the law office of Nilo Sanchez & Associates today.

Modification of Alimony

Modification of Child Support

Modification of Parental Responsibility and Time Sharing


Popular posts from this blog

Tampa Family Law Attorney on Required Mediation in Hillsborough County

In many counties in Florida, including family law cases that will be heard in Hillsborough County, Florida mediation is required in contested family law matters.  Mediation is offered though the County or the parties can agree on using private mediators.

Tampa Family Law Attorney Nilo J. Sanchez  Q & A Required Family Mediation

Why is Mediation Required in Divorces in Hillsborough County, Florida?
Mediation is a form of dispute resolution that provides the parties in a contested family law case to resolve their issues prior to going to court. Mediation is beneficial in many family law cases, especially if your attorney is a skilled negotiator. Mediation provides the parties with an opportunity to voice their concerns and to negotiate the terms of their divorce or other family law matter, such as in paternity cases where child support and time sharing matters will need to be resolved.
What Happens in Mediation?

First the clients will decide whether they will use a county mediator or a…

Hiring the Right Family Law Attorney in Tampa Bay

What do People Look for in a Tampa Family Law Attorney?
Choosing a Tampa Family Law Attorney is a very personal choice. There are many misconceptions as to how a judge or opposing counsel may react to the gender of your family law lawyer. Having said that however, many people do prefer either a male or female family law attorney. Some people want a youthful attorney while others prefer that older family law lawyers. These types of preferences generally carry little factual evidence yet we believe that whatever feels right to a client makes sense. Hiring a top-rated Tampa divorce or family law attorney that you aren't particularly comfortable with rarely makes sense. Thus, it is most important to hire an attorney that makes you feel comfortable and confident.

Hiring a family law attorney is no small task. There are numerous Tampa Bay family law firms and divorce lawyers to choose from. So how do you begin to choose the best family law lawyer? We've listed a few suggestions bel…